Bananas make a great addition to your balanced healthy diet during pregnancy.
Not only because they help fulfill your daily recommended servings of fruit, but also because they supply your body and developing baby with lots of nutrients and health benefits.
Let’s take a quick look at the most important benefits of this delicious fruit:
- Bananas are a good source of potassium which is recognized as a valuable remedy to pregnancy swelling and morning sickness symptoms.
- Iron content in bananas can stimulate hemoglobin production, much needed to prevent anemia and associated complications on pregnancy and delivery.
- The amount of vitamin B6 you get from bananas can aid in the cell and central nervous system development of your fetus.
- Eating bananas can suppress acid secretions that tend to increase because of the pressure the growing baby puts on your stomach and cause you heartburn and indigestion.
- Bananas can help you digest food and normalize your bowel motility, due to their richness in fibers.
- Eating bananas can boost your energy levels by regulating your blood sugar; low blood sugar is known for causing tiredness, binge eating and moodiness.
- Folic acid content in bananas plays an important role in maintaining your pregnancy and protecting your developing baby from congenital malformations, stemming from damage to the brain and the nervous system.
With all these benefits, we can’t advise you but to eat bananas during pregnancy, unless you’re allergic to the protein chitinaze found in bananas and other types of fruits, such as kiwis and avocados.
Read More: Constipation During Pregnancy
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support
Curated content based on your preferences
Learn about various feeding options and what each means for you and your baby
Tailored Practical Tools
Try our tailored practical tools to guide you through the parenting journey.
My First 1000 Days club
Customised notifications, reminders and newsletters
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine. We'll always have something for you.