Pregnancy may be a wonderful and exciting journey, but it’s probably going to have few bumps along the road.
In addition to the changes and symptoms it brings to help your body support your baby in the womb and provide him with all nutrients he needs to grow and develop, pregnancy affects your immune system and weakens it, making it more prone to diseases and infections.
Hereinafter are few valuable tips to strengthen your immune system and give your pregnancy a boost:
- Make sure your daily diet is healthy and rich in green vegetables, citrus fruits, garlic, lean meat, chicken, eggs, nuts, seeds and other food sources high in minerals, fatty acids, vitamins D, C, A, B6 and B12 proven to enhance body’s resistance to illness.
- Enrich your daily diet with probiotic supplements or high-probiotic food sources that can kill the bad bacteria or prevent them from reproducing, help facilitate digestion and stimulate neurotransmitters to prevent infections.
- Avoid processed or junk food that may negatively affect your immunity and cause you infections.
- Make sure to follow your doctor’s prescription and take the prenatal supplements you regularly need to support your diet and compensate any lack of nutrition. These are the top supplements you should be taking: iron, zinc, vitamin B complex, as well as vitamins A, C, D and E.
- Ask your doctor about safe workouts for pregnancy. Regular exercises and physical activities are effective in strengthening immunity and preparing for labor and delivery.
- Make sure to consume sufficient amount of water on an everyday basis – i.e. not less than 7 cups a day – to refresh your body and keep it free of toxins.
- Make sure you get enough sleep every day, to keep the harmful effects of sleep deprivation or lack of sleep at bay.
In addition to the foregoing, do your best to ward off stress, negative feelings and all that can increase pressure on your immunity during pregnancy, perhaps through therapeutic massage, meditation, reading, listening to soft music and having good times with friends.
Read More: Physical Exercises For Mothers-To-Be
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support
Curated content based on your preferences
Learn about various feeding options and what each means for you and your baby
Tailored Practical Tools
Try our tailored practical tools to guide you through the parenting journey.
My First 1000 Days club
Customised notifications, reminders and newsletters
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine. We'll always have something for you.