- Ask what clothes you need to take off for the scan. If it’s your first time, there’s no harm in asking.
- Ask for a cover-up to protect your modesty! You might want to avoid playsuits or jumpsuits on scan day as they’re a bit exposing.
- Ask what they look for in the 12-week scan if they haven’t already had this explained this to you.
- Ask if baby is developing normally.
- Ask if you are able to get a picture before they start scanning—hospitals often have different policies about printing scans to keep.
- Ask the sonographer if they can to record the audio of the heartbeat on a phone.
- Ask if the fetal heartbeat sounds normal.
- Ask about the accuracy of fetal heartbeat phone apps.
- Ask when your next scan is and what you can expect. Go to Your checklist of antenatal testing questions for more things to ask.
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support
Curated content based on your preferences
Learn about various feeding options and what each means for you and your baby
Tailored Practical Tools
Try our tailored practical tools to guide you through the parenting journey.
My First 1000 Days club
Customised notifications, reminders and newsletters
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine. We'll always have something for you.