- Consider whether to go for a traditional or unique name.
- Consider the meaning of the names—perhaps in different languages.
- Consider what the initials will be when put together.
- Consider how the first name sounds with the surname.
- Consider how the name could be shortened.
- Consider how popular the name currently is.
- Think about people to name baby after.
- Think about names from your culture.
- Consider how it sits with any sibling names.
- Consider whether gender neutral names are important.
- Think about middle names—second or third favorites can still make the cut this way.
- Consider how the name works for a child and an adult.
- Consider alternative spellings of popular names.
- Think about living with the name. Will other kids be mean about it?
- Once you’ve got a few ideas on the shortlist, another fun task you could start thinking about is getting baby's nursery ready. See our checklist for help.
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support
Curated content based on your preferences
Learn about various feeding options and what each means for you and your baby
Tailored Practical Tools
Try our tailored practical tools to guide you through the parenting journey.
My First 1000 Days club
Customised notifications, reminders and newsletters
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine. We'll always have something for you.