- Consider keeping the room minimal and accessorizing with colorful pieces. It’s easy to change some cushions and the cot will go eventually, but updating the walls and flooring are a bigger task.
- Think about the room itself. Is it on the quiet side of the house? Does it get a lot of sunlight? Is it draughty?
- Check out Pinterest to put together a board of inspiration as well as things on your wish list.
- Make a basic collage (online or with craft supplies) with the items and colors you like. You can then move things in and out to see what works.
- Think about putting in a dimmer switch. Bright lights don’t make sleepy babies.
- Check if you need to oil the door hinges if they are stiff and squeaky.
- Consider a drop-side cot or a cot with a plenty of levels.
- Assemble the cot inside the room, it might be too big to fit through the door.
- Think about investing a comfy armchair or rocking chair for night feeds or to soothe baby.
- Consider buying a changing table or get a short chest of drawers with a baby-changing top.
- Buy a changing mat.
- Buy a diaper bin.
- Ensure any nursery furniture that could be pulled over is securely attached to the wall.
- Look into using wall decals. They peel off easily but make the room look fun instantly.
- Consider buying blackout blinds.
- Buy a baby guard for the door to the nursery or stairs nearby.
- Buy different types of blankets for all weather conditions.
- Buy a lamp or nightlight for late-night diaper changes.
- Consider buying a baby monitor—maybe with a camera—and install it safely with wires out of baby’s reach.
- Buy a room thermometer if your monitor doesn’t have one. Buy a fan if baby’s room gets hot in the summer.
- Buy a humidifier if the air is dry. Especially good for winter babies.
- Paint the room three months before baby is due to make sure the room is fume-free. Water based or Zero VOC paints are ideal.
- Another fun job when you’re done getting the nursey ready is thinking of baby names! See our checklist for ideas.
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support
Curated content based on your preferences
Learn about various feeding options and what each means for you and your baby
Tailored Practical Tools
Try our tailored practical tools to guide you through the parenting journey.
My First 1000 Days club
Customised notifications, reminders and newsletters
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine. We'll always have something for you.