- Fasten or remove tall, wobbly furniture such as floor lamps and bookcases.
- Attach the TV to the wall.
- Hide electrical cords or make sure they’re out of baby’s reach.
- Fit safety gates to stop your baby from climbing the stairs.
- Put screens in front of any fireplaces.
- Keep low furniture away from windows.
- Add non-slip mats to all rugs.
- Cover sharp furniture edges with baby corner guards.
- Put cabinet safety locks on any drawers, doors, or cupboards at floor level.
- Add hinge protectors to doors.
- Unplug electrical appliances and store out of reach of baby.
- Fit baby safety locks or catches that restrict the opening of windows. Make sure adults know where the keys are kept in case of a fire.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors on every level of your home.
- Check the house and garden for poisonous plants.
- Install an approved rear-facing baby seat in the car.
- Save emergency and medical contacts into your phone.
- For ideas on how to get baby’s nursey ready, read our checklist.
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support
Curated content based on your preferences
Learn about various feeding options and what each means for you and your baby
Tailored Practical Tools
Try our tailored practical tools to guide you through the parenting journey.
My First 1000 Days club
Customised notifications, reminders and newsletters
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine. We'll always have something for you.