During the first months of your baby’s life, you’ll notice that he’s growing physically and making rapid strides in his development.
He is developing gross motor skills that give him stability, balance and ability to control larger muscles. Fine motor skills allow him to use smaller muscles and have coordination.
As a mother, you play a huge role in teaching and developing your baby’s skills, and we are here to help you out by offering some simple but effective activities.
For babies between 0 and 3 months
- Kiss your baby, hug him and touch his tiny body, so you can build a connection with him and stimulate him to move the parts of his body that you are touching.
- Gently massage your baby’s back and tummy in circular motion and extend his arms and legs.
- Use a sound-emitting toy to draw your baby’s attention and stimulate him to move his head in the toy’s direction and try to catch it.
- Place your baby on his tummy to play and learn how to raise his head and arms and how to strengthen his arm and neck muscles, in preparation for crawling. While he reclines in this position, talk to him and try to stimulate his vision and hearing using a sound-emitting toy.
- Hang a beautiful and colorful toy over your baby’s head in the crib, in order to stimulate his vision and encourage him to move his arms and use his eye-hand coordination to catch it.
For babies between 3 and 6 months
- Lay your baby on the floor from time to time and allow him to move his legs and look around him. It’s quite important not to restrict your baby’s movements by leaving him in his chair or stroller for a long time.
- When your baby learns to sit up, place him on the floor, surrounded by several supportive pillows and allow him to streng then his neck muscles, without fearing he might fall.
That was our modest list of activities that stimulate physical growth in babies between 0 and 6 months of age. We hope you find it helpful and beneficial to your bundle of joy!
Read More: Best Baby Toys For 0-6 Months Old
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support
Curated content based on your preferences
Learn about various feeding options and what each means for you and your baby
Tailored Practical Tools
Try our tailored practical tools to guide you through the parenting journey.
My First 1000 Days club
Customised notifications, reminders and newsletters
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine. We'll always have something for you.