- Gather everything you need before you start: Changing mat; clean towel; clean diaper; cotton balls; cooled boiled water (to dip the cotton balls in) or fragrance- and alcohol-free wipes; barrier cream.
- Place the towel on the changing mat, lie your baby on the towel.
- If you’re using a changing table, keep your eyes on baby all the time—they can wriggle a lot.
- Singing or chatting to your baby can help to soothe and calm them.
- Undo the dirty diaper. If it’s full, use it to remove most of the mess.
- Clean your baby’s bottom with the wet cotton balls or wipes. Wipe front to back for a girl, back to front for a boy.
- Pat your baby’s bottom dry with the towel.
- Gently lift your baby’s legs with one hand and put the clean diaper (with the tabs at the back) under their bottom with the other.
- Apply a barrier cream if your baby’s bottom looks red or sore.
- Fold the front of the diaper up to baby’s waist and fasten the tabs on the sides.
- Wash and moisturize your hands after every diaper change.
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support
Curated content based on your preferences
Learn about various feeding options and what each means for you and your baby
Tailored Practical Tools
Try our tailored practical tools to guide you through the parenting journey.
My First 1000 Days club
Customised notifications, reminders and newsletters
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine. We'll always have something for you.