1 egg yolk
½ tbsp cornflour
¾ cup (190mL) milk
¼ tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp sugar
Fruits suitable to stew include apples, pears, peaches, apricots, plums, dates or rhubarb (ensure rhubarb leaves have been discarded).
Fruits suitable to mash include bananas, berries, figs, honeydew, kiwi fruit, mango, nectarines, paw paw, peaches, rockmelon and watermelon. Choose fruit which is soft and ripe.
Step by step
20 minsTime total
1. Place egg yolk and cornflour in a small saucepan; mix to combine. Add a small amount of milk to form a smooth paste; gradually add remaining milk, vanilla and sugar.
2. Place over a medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until custard comes to the boil and thickens. Serve with stewed fruits or fruit mash.
1. Peel, core or seed and chop fruit.
2. Place in a small saucepan with enough water to just cover the fruit; bring to the boil on a high heat; simmer just until tender.
3. Puree or mash, according to baby’s age. For older babies, offer large pieces.
1. Peel fruit if necessary and chop.
2. Using a food processor or blender, process until smooth or mash for older babies.
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support
Curated content based on your preferences
Learn about various feeding options and what each means for you and your baby
Tailored Practical Tools
Try our tailored practical tools to guide you through the parenting journey.
My First 1000 Days club
Customised notifications, reminders and newsletters
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine. We'll always have something for you.